Dreaming of going to college? 8th grade is a good time to start. In fact, you should ask counselors, teachers, parents, and friends any other questions you have about college now so you can start planning.
Here are some other things you should do:
- Create your 5 year educational plan in the LAeportal
- Learn about the TOPS/Regents Core Curriculum
- Talk to people! Ask questions about the following:
- Going to a college or university
- Courses to start taking in the 9th grade
- The importance colleges and universites place on grades, and at what year in school grades will start to be considered in the admissions process
- College preparatory, AP, and other honors-level courses you should be taking in high school (9th through 12th grade)
- Academic enrichment programs (including summer and weekend programs) available through your school or local colleges
- Think about pursuing extracurricular activities (such as sports, performing arts, volunteer work, or other activities that interest you).